Online Ongoing Diaconal Formation (for ordained deacons only)
Online Ongoing Diaconal Formation
Ongoing formation, whether priestly, diaconal or lay, is essential to effective ministry. Personal and family time constraints, along with the demands of ministry, often make such formation challenging.
The Diocese of Joliet has partnered with Franciscan University of Steubenville to develop a deacon track within its Catechetical Institute. These are specific, professionally produced multimedia online workshops available to our deacons at no cost. They can be watched individually or as a group, such as the deanery gatherings.
Each workshop consists of several five-minute videos that break down the material with reflection questions that are specific to the diaconate. They begin with two preface workshops provided by Deacon Dominic Cerrato on the Spirituality of the Diaconate and the Theology of the Diaconate. Other workshops include such topics as the following:
- Parish Catechetical Leader
- Youth Ministry Leader
- Pastoral Caregiver
- Formation of a Deacon Catechist
- Pro-life Outreach Leader
- RCIA Leader
- Catechist Trainer
- Adult Formation Leader
- Evangelization Outreach Leader
- Parent/Family Formation Leader
Because of the partnership arrangement with Franciscan University, deacons can also access a host of other workshops within the Catechetical Institute that, while not specifically diaconal, can provide additional formation.
To access the workshops:
- Visit the Franciscan at Home website.
- In the upper right hand corner, click on “Log In.”
- On the next page, click on, “Create New Account.”
- Once you are on your “dashboard,” you can scroll down to “Institution Tracks.”
- Click on that and select “Ongoing Diaconal Formation Track.”
- There, you can choose to take courses without a mentor, and proceed at your own pace.
Ordained deacons are expected to complete 20 hours of continuing education hours each calendar year.